Us Weekly has affiliate partnerships, so we may receive compensation for certain links to products and services.
If you’ve ever tried primers but decided they didn’t do anything for you or just made your makeup pill or flake, we want to introduce you to the best primers for dry skin. As with your skincare, it’s so important to use a base that’s right for your skin type!
If your skin is dry, avoid anything that focuses on matte finishes and shine control, and try skipping anything heavy on alcohol. Instead, you’ll want to aim for products that promise dewy, plumped results, perhaps even containing hydrating ingredients!
How We Found the Best Primers for Dry Skin
First, we looked for anything specifically labeled for dry skin, or with those magic words like “plumping” and “rosy” on the bottle. We also peeked into the ingredient lists, looking for hydrating favorites like hyaluronic acid and glycerin. We also liked to see water-based bases, as they are often alcohol-free, as well as thicker textures for extra-dry skin. We were also on the lookout for anything that was a serum/primer or moisturizer-primer hybrid, knowing that it would have a strong skincare focus!
Of course, we also took into account our own experience with different brands, as well as the experiences and ratings of reviewers. A beauty brand can claim a lot of things, but we are always wary of trying something without the approval of our peers!
11 of the best primers for dry skin
1. Brighter priming moisturizer
If your face needs a little hydration, this rich version of Glossier’s famous Priming Moisturizer is the answer. It contains ceramides, fatty acids, and shea and murumuru butters to dramatically boost your skin’s natural moisture barrier while helping to soothe redness and create an even base for makeup application!
- Over 1,000 reviews
- Olivia Rodrigue recently partnered with the brand
- Can be a bit heavy in hot weather
Available at: Glossier
2. Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Face Primer
For a “goddess-worthy” complexion
This primer is all about “dewy” and “radiant” skin, so we knew it would be a great choice. We can always count on Charlotte Tilbury! This primer contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid, camellia oil, and wild pansy extract to keep skin plump, and it claims to deliver a “soft-focus” effect for a natural glow!
- In a clinical study, 100% agreed skin looked dewy and radiant
- Claims to hydrate for up to 24 hours
Available at: Charlotte Tilbury, Sephora, Nordstrom
3. Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops
For a glass skin glow
This multi-purpose product was discontinued a few years ago, but its popularity has skyrocketed lately thanks to content creators on TikTok and Instagram. It contains hyaluronic acid, real watermelon extract and brightening niacinamide for a healthy, ultra-shiny finish!
- Can also be used as a brightening serum or can be mixed with foundation
- No mica, glitter or gray cast iron
- Features a scent that might deter some buyers
Available at: Sephora
4. Elemis Superfood Glow Priming Moisturizer
If we’ve learned anything about skincare, it’s that if an ingredient makes you do a double take, it’s probably great for your skin. This priming moisturizer features unexpected infusions like kombucha black tea and fermented ginger to even out skin while green tea seed oil softens and hydrates!
- Contains illuminating minerals
- One of the more expensive options
Available on: Dermastore, Ulta, Amazon, Nordstrom
5. Honest Beauty Primer Glow + 2HA
A Clean Beauty Favorite
We love when companies make multiple versions of a primer for different skin types. Jessica AlbaHonest Beauty’s company did just that, and this Glow primer obviously stood out as our pick. It incorporates two types of hyaluronic acid in its formula. This dermatologist tested primer is also EWG certified!
- Dermatologically tested and non-comedogenic
- 100% tree-free paperboard
Available on: Amazon, Target, Ulta
6. NYX Plump Right Back Electrolytes Plumping Primer Serum
A futuristic find
NYX actually makes a nice handful of moisturizing primers for dry skin, but we’ve narrowed it down to this electrolyte-infused primer serum because it’s just too cool. You know how you drink something with electrolytes when you’re dehydrated? It’s the same idea here. This serum also contains hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, pro-vitamin B5, magnesium and potassium!
- A more affordable option
- Available in multiple sizes
- Features a scent that might deter some buyers
Available on: Target, Ulta, Amazon, Walmart
7. Wander Beauty Pack Up & Glow Priming SPF
Powered with SPF protection
If you often tend to forget your sunscreen, then make it easier for yourself by using an SPF base! This mineral sunscreen SPF 40, a good choice for sensitive skin, offers a satin finish and contains plant-derived squalene and hyaluronic acid for a plumped glow. It’s alcohol-free and also claims to prevent photoaging and moisture loss!
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Rich in antioxidants
- Satin finish may not be as preferable for ultra-dry skin in cold weather
Available on: Amazon, Revolution
8. Wet N Wild Photo Focus Dewy Face Primer, Till Prime Dew Us Part
Our most affordable choice
Whether you’re just starting out with primers or just looking to spend less, let We point you in the direction of this Wet N Wild favorite. It has so many positive notes and it’s infused with vitamin E to smooth and soften your skin, leaving a dewy finish. This choice is cruelty-free, vegan, gluten-free, paraben-free, and fragrance-free!
- Less than $10
- Infused with pearlescent pigments
- The formula may be a little simple for more advanced beauty fanatics
Available on: Amazon, Walmart
9. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Hydrating Primer
For the silkiest skin
The moisturizing version of this Fenty primer is the right choice for dry skin. It’s lightweight but has a “silky” formula that claims to instantly hydrate and eliminate dry patches. This primer also contains Blue Agave extract, which is known for its “anti-inflammatory and immune system boosting properties” and for keeping skin hydrated! (Face the vibrations)
- Free of parabens and phthalates
- Reviewers rave about how their skin feels hydrated and dewy after using it
- If you have combination skin, it may not be as suitable for use everywhere
Available at: Ulta, Sephora
10. Pacifica Vegan Collagen Skin Resolving Primer
For a blurred effect
This product claims to prime, blend, and hydrate at the same time, including vegan collagen in its formula for super supple skin. It’s also infused with hyaluronic acid, amino acids, jasmine extract, orange extract, and caffeine!
- 100% glass bottle
- No talc, parabens, phthalates or mineral oil
- A few buyers think it smells a bit like cleaning product
Available on: Target, Amazon
11. Kjaer Weis The Beautiful Introduction
A luxurious highlighter
If you’re looking for another lavish option, look no further than Kjaer Weis’ The Beautiful Primer. It is a moisturizing and luminous base made from soothing lavender water, moisturizing olive oil and firming Spilanthes acmella flower extract. You might choose to wear this one even on makeup-free days!
- Certified organic
- Potential long-term benefits too
- It is recommended to let it absorb for five to seven minutes before applying makeup
Available from: Kjaer Weis, Nordstrom
Other primers we love for dry skin
Looking for more product recommendations? Shop some of our other favorites below:
This article is brought to you by the Shop With Us team at Us Weekly. The Shop With Us team aims to highlight products and services that our readers might find interesting and useful, such as face masks, self-tanners, Lululemon-style leggings, and all the best gifts for everyone in your life. The selection of products and services, however, is in no way intended to constitute an endorsement of Us Weekly or any celebrity mentioned in the post.
The Shop With Us team can receive products from manufacturers for free to test. Additionally, Us Weekly receives compensation from the manufacturer of the products we write about when you click on a link and then purchase the product featured in an article. This does not determine our decision as to whether a product or service is featured or recommended or not. Shop With Us operates independently of the advertising sales team. We appreciate your feedback at [email protected] Good shopping!